The Lecture Series
New York Academy of Art Professional Practice Lecture Series
The Professional Practices Series is a casual and informative series of conversations open to New York Academy of Art students and alumni as well as the general public.
Organized and moderated by faculty member Sharon Louden, each 1 1/2 hour long program begins with a conversation between the guest and Sharon Louden in an open forum, in front of an audience.
The conclusion of the program is a Q & A open to all those in attendance. There is no admission charge and participation is welcomed!
For a current schedule, please visit this link on the New York Academy of Art's website. Check back frequently for changes in the schedule.
Past guests have included the following, with links to available video:
- Randy Cohen interviews Jerry Saltz and Roberta Smith as a part of his Person, Place, Thing Podcast program. (podcast)
- Kathleen Hays, Host of the "Hays Advantage" on Bloomberg Radio and Kelly Crow, Staff Reporter covering the art market for The Wall Street Journal: "Art as a Commodity: Art In The Market Place." (video)
- Laura Hoptman, Curator, Museum of Modern Art: "Working with Museums - Meet the Curator."
- Paul Laster, artist, writer, editor, independent curator, and lecturer; Deborah Solomon, art critic, journalist and biographer; and Christian Viveros-Faune, writer and curator: "A Conversation with the Critics."
- Matthew Deleget guest moderator of a conversation with Lisa Dent, Director, Resources & Award Programs, Creative Capital; and Courtney Harge, Fiscal Sponsorship, New York Foundation for the Arts: "Grants and Fiscal Sponsorship." (video)
- Cameron Gainer (The Third Rail, Minneapolis); Duncan MacKenzie (Bad At Sports, Chicago); Cara Ober, (BMoreArt, Baltimore); and Michael Shaw, The Conversation Podcast, Lost Angeles (via Skype): "The Culture Producers" (video)
- Matthew Deleget guest moderator of a conversation with Gabriel Perez-Barreiro, Director and Chief Curator, Patricia Phelps de Cisneros Collection and Rachel Nackman, Curator, About Drawing: "Private Collections" (video)
- Matthew Deleget guest moderator of a conversation with Sara Reisman, Director, Percent for Art, New York City Department of Cultural Affairs: "Art in Public." (video)
- Roberta Smith, The New York Times Art Critic: "Art Criticism Today"
- Randy Cohen, author, playwright, former Ethicist for the New York Times, and current Creator and Host of Person, Place, Thing: "The Ethics of Being an Artist" (video)
- Hrag Vartanian, Christopher Howard, and Lilly Wei, "Talk to the Critics"
- Martha Schwendener, Writer and Critic, The New York Times: "Advice From a Critic" (video)
- Anne Goodyear, Ph.D, Associate Curator, National Portrait Gallery; Professorial Lecturer, George Washington University: "Working With Museums" (video)
- Magda Sawon (Owner and Director, Postmasters Gallery in TriBeCa), Dennis Christie (Co-Owner, DCKT Gallery), Stephanie Theodore (Owner and Director, Theodore: Art, Bushwick, Brooklyn): "On Galleries" (video)
- Chris Cook, Executive Director, Cannonball, Miami, FL: "Working with Non-profit Organizations and Residencies" (video)
- Jonathan T.D. Neil, Director of the Sotheby's Institute of Art, Los Angeles: "The Value of Art"
- Lisa Anastos (Founder and CEO of ARThood, Philanthropist in the Arts) and Matthew Deleget (Artist, Director/Owner of MINUS Space, Curator and Consultant): "Ask The Doctors - Exhibition Alternatives, Approaching a Collector, and Other Issues" (video)
- Murat Orozobekov, Co-Owner of Winkleman Gallery, New York, NY: "Obtaining Sponsorship" (video)
- Don Kimes, Professor of Art, American University, Washington, DC, and Artistic Director in the Visual Arts, Chautauqua Institution, Chautauqua, NY: "Pedagogical Issues, Teaching Art, and Teaching Positions for Artists"
- Phil Rosenbloom, Partner, Bearence Management Group, Twin Cities: "On Collecting" (video)
- Robert Storr, Art Historian, Curator and Dean of the Yale School of Art: "A Talk With Robert Storr"
- Adam Sheffer, Partner, Cheim and Read Gallery, NYC: "Galleries, Art World"
- Benjamin Genocchio, Editor in Chief, Artinfo.com: "Taking the pulse of the art world - Art Criticism and the Press" (video)
- Adrienne Outlaw and Michelle Grabner, Artist and Founder of Seed Space & Artist and Founder of Poor Farm and The Suburban, respectively: "Non-profit Orgs/Alternative Spaces"(video)
- Alan Bamberger, Consultant, Artbusiness.com: "The Artist Statement" (video)
- Stephanie Pereira, Director, Art Program of Kickstarter: "Introduction to Kickstarter" (video)
- Brian Bishop, Artist and Professor of Art, Framingham State College: "Pedagogy" (video)
- Josh Baer, Writer and Publisher of Baerfaxt.com: "What's Happening in the Art World Today" (video)
- Dede Young, Gallery Director, Gallerie LeLong: "Working With a Gallery" (video)
- Ellen Harvey, Amanda Church, Tony Ingrisano, & Blane de St. Croix, Artists: "Living a Sustainable Creative Life" (video)
- Paddy Johnson, Founding Editor of Art Fag City: "Blogs, Online Magazines, & Contemporary Art Criticism" (video)
- Steven Sergiovanni, Director, Mixed Greens, New York City: "Galleries, Art World" (video)
- Ken Johnson, Critic, The New York Times: "Conversation With Ken Johnson" (podcast)
- Walter Robinson, Artist and Former Editor of Artnet.com: "Reviews and the Critic"
- Michael Straus, Collector and Chairman of the Board, Andy Warhol Foundation: "Collecting"
- Anne Pasternak, Director, Creative Time: "Alternative Projects"
- Melissa Potter, Director of Book and Paper Program, Columbia College, Chicago, IL: "Fulbrights" (podcast)
- Carter Foster, Curator of Drawings, Whitney Museum of American Art, New York, NY: "Working With Museums" (podcast)
- Bill Carroll (Former Art dealer, Consultant, and Current Head of EFA studio program) & Dennis Christie (Gallery owner, DCKT Gallery, New York, NY): "Galleries" (podcast)
- Joel and Sherry Mallin, Collectors: "Collecting" (podcast)
- Susan Schear, President, ARTISIN: "Writing a Business Plan" (podcast)
- Steven Goldglit, Managing Partner of Goldlit & Company: "Taxes and Bookeeping for the Artist" (video)
- Sharon Butler, Artist, Writer, Blogger: "Blogs and Social Media" (podcast)
- Gigi Rosenberg, Author of "Artist's Guide to Grant Writing": "Grant Writing" (video)
- Austin Thomas, Artist & Curator: "Pop-ups and Curating"
All articles are posted as pdfs